The heart of every great institution, organization or movement is the ideas it has to put on the table. If you don’t have something that is genuinely new and important to say, it’s rarely worth the effort. The Herzl Institute is one of the few institutions in the Jewish world that puts the development of new ideas at the center of its operations. We support the research, publication and dissemination of original, ground-breaking books and essays in idea-shaping disciplines that ultimately define the world we live in, as Jews and as human beings, including: Philosophy, Political Theory, History, Bible, Talmud, Jewish Studies, Middle Eastern Studies, and Education.
Here’s a preview of some of the new projects currently under way:
- Yoram Hazony, Understanding God (forthcoming with Cambridge University Press).
- Ofir Haivry, John Selden and the Western Political Tradition (forthcoming with Cambridge University Press).
- Joshua Berman, Contradiction in Ancient Literature: New Models for Pentateuch Criticism (forthcoming).
- Yechiel Leiter, The Political Hebraism of John Locke: A New-Old Reading of the Two Treatises of Government (forthcoming).
- Meirav Jones, The Idea of Israel in Seventeenth Century British Political Theory (forthcoming).